COVID-19 Updates: The Wisconsin Historical Society hours have changed. See a full list of COVID-19 Closures and Events HERE.

Wisconsin Historical Society

Guide or Instruction

How to Transfer State Agency Records to the State Archives

How to Transfer State Agency Records to the State Archives | Wisconsin Historical Society

Records Stored at the State Records Center:

Transfer of records occurs at the end of their retention period, two times a year, to the Society. Transfer occurs with agency approval after agency personnel review and approve of the Record Center's Notice of Destruction/Transfer report.

Records Stored at a State Agency

The Society only accepts records for transfer with an approved RDA indicating transfer.

Records with a Records Retention Disposition Authorization (RDA) that indicates transfer to the State Archives may be sent directly from the creating agency at the end of their retention period.

To transfer records directly from the creating agency to the Wisconsin Historical Society:

  1. Verify the records to be transferred are not subject to a legal or audit hold within the agency

  2. Pack the records, in their original file folders, into Record Center cartons

  3. Ensure that each carton contains records from only one RDA

  4. Ensure that all records within a carton have reached the disposition date

  5. Mark each carton with agency name, series title, and RDA number

  6. Complete the State Archives transfer form and include a copy of the form in each box of records

  7. Prior to sending records, please contact Jacob Riehl ( or 608-261-1037) to discuss transporting records to the Wisconsin Historical Society

Note: Some RDAs specify transfer to other archival repositories; this process does not apply to these records.