Property Record
4125 Forest Headquarters Rd
Architecture and History Inventory
| Historic Name: | Trout Lake Ranger Station - Dormitory |
|---|---|
| Other Name: | Trout Lake Ranger Station (DNR) |
| Contributing: | Yes |
| Reference Number: | 21561 |
| Location (Address): | 4125 Forest Headquarters Rd |
|---|---|
| County: | Vilas |
| City: | |
| Township/Village: | Boulder Junction |
| Unincorporated Community: | |
| Town: | 41 |
| Range: | 7 |
| Direction: | E |
| Section: | 8 |
| Quarter Section: | SW |
| Quarter/Quarter Section: | NW |
| Year Built: | 1937 |
|---|---|
| Additions: | |
| Survey Date: | 19912025 |
| Historic Use: | ranger station facilities |
| Architectural Style: | Side Gabled |
| Structural System: | |
| Wall Material: | Rock-Faced Concrete Block |
| Architect: | |
| Other Buildings On Site: | |
| Demolished?: | No |
| Demolished Date: |
| National/State Register Listing Name: | Not listed |
|---|---|
| National Register Listing Date: | |
| State Register Listing Date: |
| Additional Information: | A 'site file' exists for this property. It contains additional information such as correspondence, newspaper clippings, or historical information. It is a public record and may be viewed in person at the Wisconsin Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office. The Trout Lake Ranger station is the first of nine buildings built on this site as part of the Northern highland State Forest Headquarters. 2025: The Dormitory was constructed in 1937 by CCC enrollees stationed at Camp Crystal Lake. This 2 ½ story building is rectangular in plan with a concrete foundation, rock-faced concrete block walls, and an asphalt-shingled side-gabled roof with overhanging eaves and exposed rafter ends and triangular wood brackets under the gables. The front elevation faces east and is asymmetrical in composition. A large, hipped-roof awning with heavy wood support brackets is located in the northern half of the façade and shelters two pedestrian-scale doorways; a pair of six-over-six windows is located between these. North of the entrances is a single six-over-six window. South of the entrances are four evenly spaced six-over-six windows. The second story contains seven six-over-six windows. All windows feature concrete sills and lintels. The front roof slope contains three shed-roofed dormers, each of which is clad in wood clapboard siding and contains a single six-over-six window and a louvered ventilation panel. |
|---|---|
| Bibliographic References: | DNR. |
| Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, State Historic Preservation Office, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin |




