Photograph
William Deering & Co. Works

William Deering & Company factory as viewed from across Fullerton Avenue. The factory was built by William Deering in 1880. In 1902 it became International Harvester's Deering Works. The factory was located at Fullerton and Clybourn Avenues and closed in 1933. The wording above the arch reads: "William Deering & Co." There are two smaller signs to the left of the door that read: "International Harvester Company," and "Deering Harvester Company." |
Image ID: | 6756 |
---|---|
Creation Date: | circa 1900 |
Creator Name: | William Deering & Company |
City: | Chicago |
County: | |
State: | Illinois |
Collection Name: | Photo albums, circa 1899-1965 |
Genre: | Photograph |
Original Format Type: | photographic print, b&w |
Original Format Number: | MCC MSS 7Z, Album 93, pg. 3 |
Original Dimensions: | 8.5 x 7.5 inches |
In a 3/2010 email from G Kevin Davis in IL: The archway that surrounds the door is now located on the former 600+acre estate of Brooks McCormick, the former CEO of International Harvester Co., near his horse stable. Along with the Deering Arch is a piece of the former McCormick Reaper Works Factory that was located in Chicago. Mr. Brooks McCormick had the "Reaper Manufactory" piece imbedded as part of red brick wall. I believe that his father Mr. Chauncey McCormick had the "Deering Arch" moved onto the property. From Brooks McCormick-Wikipedia: In the 1920s, McCormick's father Chauncey purchased a massive horse farm in what is now unincorporated Warrenville, Illinois. The property eventually was expanded to more than 600 acres (2.4 km2) and became known as St. James Farm...In 2000, McCormick sold the farm for $43 million to the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County, with the stipulation that it would take possession of the farm upon McCormick's death...[which occurred on] August 15, 2006. |
Architecture |
Clock towers |
Cities and towns |
Factories |
Agricultural machinery industry |
Outdoor photography |
Signs and signboards |
Clocks and watches |
This image is issued by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Collections Division. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please Credit: Wisconsin Historical Society. |
Location: | Wisconsin Historical Society Archives, 4th Floor, Madison, Wisconsin |
---|