Holy Family Hospital | Book or Pamphlet | Wisconsin Historical Society

Book or Pamphlet

Holy Family Hospital

Holy Family Hospital | Book or Pamphlet | Wisconsin Historical Society
View of the east facade of the three-story brick hospital with its Richardsonian Romanesque arched stone entrance and Roman Catholic cross-topped turrets. The hilltop location on the corner of Western Avenue and S. 23rd Street includes its looped drive, grounds and the power building's chimney towering over a bank of trees on the right. A dwelling, across Western Avenue, is on the left. Opening its doors to the public on September 28, 1899, the new hospital was designed by Manitowoc architect C.H. Tegen.  In the late 1890's, Manitowoc was a rapidly growing maritime port city in need of a large, modern medical facility.  With encouragement and financial support from city leaders, the sisters of Holy Family Convent, the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity, acquired land that had been Gerpheide's Park for the construction of a hospital.  With a capacity of 75 beds at its inception, the staff included seven sisters, one lay nurse and three physicians.  It was open to all and was a station of the U. S. Marine Hospital Service welcoming seamen of Manitowoc and vicinity.  After more than seven decades of service, the building was considered to be inadequate for modern health care needs.  It was razed in 1973 with the exception of the first floor, which was given a new roof and provided utility services for the more modern hospital buildings, according to newspaper accounts.  The chimney was razed in 2015.
DESCRIPTION
View of the east facade of the three-story brick hospital with its Richardsonian Romanesque arched stone entrance and Roman Catholic cross-topped turrets. The hilltop location on the corner of Western Avenue and S. 23rd Street includes its looped drive, grounds and the power building's chimney towering over a bank of trees on the right. A dwelling, across Western Avenue, is on the left. Opening its doors to the public on September 28, 1899, the new hospital was designed by Manitowoc architect C.H. Tegen. In the late 1890's, Manitowoc was a rapidly growing maritime port city in need of a large, modern medical facility. With encouragement and financial support from city leaders, the sisters of Holy Family Convent, the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity, acquired land that had been Gerpheide's Park for the construction of a hospital. With a capacity of 75 beds at its inception, the staff included seven sisters, one lay nurse and three physicians. It was open to all and was a station of the U. S. Marine Hospital Service welcoming seamen of Manitowoc and vicinity. After more than seven decades of service, the building was considered to be inadequate for modern health care needs. It was razed in 1973 with the exception of the first floor, which was given a new roof and provided utility services for the more modern hospital buildings, according to newspaper accounts. The chimney was razed in 2015.
RECORD DETAILS
Image ID:130734
Creation Date: 1901
Creator Name:Melendy Studio, Manitowoc
City:Manitowoc
County:Manitowoc
State:Wisconsin
Collection Name:Glander Art Studio (Manitowoc, Wi.) : Photographs and miscellaneous records, 1890-1972
Genre:Book or Pamphlet
Original Format Type:prints, photomechanical
Original Format Number:M2003-001.1.19
Original Dimensions:5 x 3.25 inches
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
See also Image ID's: 131077, 131246, 131263, 131437, 131439, 131444, 131631, 131633. This view is the first image in an informational booklet for potential patients entitled "First Biennial Prospectus of Holy Family Hospital, Manitowoc, Wis., Founded September 28, 1899, Conducted by The Franciscan Sisters, O.M.C., 1902." The following introduction has been quoted from the booklet. "The purpose of this booklet is to set before the prospective patron, in as brief and concise a form as possible, the thorough equipment and scientific organization of the Holy Family Hospital. The cut appearing elsewhere will convey to the mind of the reader an intelligent idea of the hospital building. It is located on an elevation overlooking the city of Manitowoc, just high enough to escape the smoke and dust from the city, and distant enough to ensure freedom from the annoyance of traffic. Street cars run near enough to the hospital to make it easily accessible from trains and boats. A most magnificent view of Lake Michigan may be had from the building and grounds, and the hospital is so situated as to afford its patrons the purest and freshest of lake breezes, as well as a pleasant and restful view to the eye. The hospital contains thirty-seven private rooms and four wards, one being a children's ward. It was opened September 28, 1899, and the first year received 196 patients, nearly all of whom made a thorough and permanent recovery. The building is of brick, and is of a pleasing style of architecture, finished inside in hardwood and oil. It has high ceilings and perfect ventilation, having been constructed with special reference to hygiene, absolute cleanliness and purity in every respect. It is lighted by electricity and equipped with a first-class passenger elevator, electric bells, and all other conveniences commensurate with a perfect system." See also online catalog for "Second Biennial Prospectus of Holy Family Hospital, Manitowoc, Wis., 1904."
SUBJECTS
Outdoor photography
Roads
Architectural details
Brickwork
Trees
Lawns
Hills
Hospitals

How to Purchase a Copy

For Personal Use

For commercial or non-profit use, please contact Image Sales.

By clicking "BUY" you agree to our Terms of Use.

10-percent discount for Society Members.

Image-purchasing questions? Please Contact Us.

RIGHTS AND PERMISSIONS
This image is issued by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Collections Division. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please Credit: Wisconsin Historical Society.
Reference Details
Location:Wisconsin Historical Society Archives, 4th Floor, Madison, Wisconsin

How to View in Person

To view this image, visit the Archives Research Room on the 4th floor at the Society Headquarters building in Madison, WI. Print out this index page and present it to the librarian. Use the links below to plan your visit to the Society's Archives.

Checking Out Materials

Visual materials in the Archives do not circulate and must be viewed in the Society's Archives Research Room.

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

Wisconsin Historical Society Citation
Wisconsin Historical Society, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).
Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research Citation
Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).

Have Questions?

Contact our Archives staff by email.