Worel, Zeman & Stangel Co. | Photograph | Wisconsin Historical Society

Photograph

Worel, Zeman & Stangel Co.

Worel, Zeman & Stangel Co. | Photograph | Wisconsin Historical Society
Albert Worel, Frank Zeman and Jacob Stangel are standing in front of the brick and wood-frame buildings of their York St. hardware store. The company's delivery horse, "Turk," is hitched up to take on a load. Standing at the front of the platform sleigh is the driver, Lewis J. Schroeder. Next in order on the sleigh are Frank Zeman, Elmer Dryer and Louis Wicke. Behind the sleigh, on the right, are Jacob J. Stangel and Frank Giese. In the doorway, behind the horse, are Albert Worel, Frank L. Stangel and Olivia Geisler. Located at 718-722 York Street, the buildings were connected to a storefront entrance at 205 N. 8th Street and operated under the ownership of the three partners from 1905-1917. In 1905, Worel, Zeman and Stangel formed a partnership and purchased the hardware establishment of Rand & Roemer. The new firm carried on as ship chandlers supplying the marine trade, stocked blacksmith's, farmer's and hunter's supplies, shelfware, tinware, graniteware, as well as doing contracting and installation work. A Feb. 28, 1905 advertisement in the "Manitowoc Daily Herald" states: "Store Now open for Business, Worel, Zeman & Stangel Co., at the old Rand & Roemer Stand (Corner Eighth and York Streets.) Now established with complete, large and new stock of hardware, building material and everything necessary to a first class hardware store." In 1917, Jacob J. Stangel left to establish his own hardware business on S. 8th and Quay Streets, the J.J. Stangel Hardware Co.
DESCRIPTION
Albert Worel, Frank Zeman and Jacob Stangel are standing in front of the brick and wood-frame buildings of their York St. hardware store. The company's delivery horse, "Turk," is hitched up to take on a load. Standing at the front of the platform sleigh is the driver, Lewis J. Schroeder. Next in order on the sleigh are Frank Zeman, Elmer Dryer and Louis Wicke. Behind the sleigh, on the right, are Jacob J. Stangel and Frank Giese. In the doorway, behind the horse, are Albert Worel, Frank L. Stangel and Olivia Geisler. Located at 718-722 York Street, the buildings were connected to a storefront entrance at 205 N. 8th Street and operated under the ownership of the three partners from 1905-1917. In 1905, Worel, Zeman and Stangel formed a partnership and purchased the hardware establishment of Rand & Roemer. The new firm carried on as ship chandlers supplying the marine trade, stocked blacksmith's, farmer's and hunter's supplies, shelfware, tinware, graniteware, as well as doing contracting and installation work. A Feb. 28, 1905 advertisement in the "Manitowoc Daily Herald" states: "Store Now open for Business, Worel, Zeman & Stangel Co., at the old Rand & Roemer Stand (Corner Eighth and York Streets.) Now established with complete, large and new stock of hardware, building material and everything necessary to a first class hardware store." In 1917, Jacob J. Stangel left to establish his own hardware business on S. 8th and Quay Streets, the J.J. Stangel Hardware Co.
RECORD DETAILS
Image ID:130553
Creation Date:circa 1906
Creator Name:Unknown
City:Manitowoc
County:Manitowoc
State:Wisconsin
Collection Name:Glander Art Studio (Manitowoc, Wi.) : Photographs and miscellaneous records, 1890-1972
Genre:Photograph
Original Format Type:photographic print, b&w
Original Format Number:M2003-001.1.18
Original Dimensions:5.25 x 3.5 inches
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
"Manitowoc Herald News," April 8, 1931 "Manitowoc Daily Herald," 1905-1917
SUBJECTS
Horses
Commercial buildings
Clothing and dress
Dresses
Hats
Implements, utensils, etc.
Outdoor photography
Show windows
Storefronts
Signs and signboards
Sleighs
Streets
Blue collar workers

How to Purchase a Copy

Buy The Image

For commercial or non-profit use, please contact Image Sales.

By clicking "BUY" you agree to our Terms of Use.

10-percent discount for Society Members.

Image-purchasing questions? Please Contact Us.

RIGHTS AND PERMISSIONS
This image is issued by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Collections Division. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please Credit: Wisconsin Historical Society.
Reference Details
Location:Wisconsin Historical Society Archives, 4th Floor, Madison, Wisconsin

How to View in Person

To view this image, visit the Archives Research Room on the 4th floor at the Society Headquarters building in Madison, WI. Print out this index page and present it to the librarian. Use the links below to plan your visit to the Society's Archives.

Checking Out Materials

Visual materials in the Archives do not circulate and must be viewed in the Society's Archives Research Room.

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

Wisconsin Historical Society Citation
Wisconsin Historical Society, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).
Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research Citation
Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).

Have Questions?

Contact our Archives staff by email.