F.W. Woolworth Company Interior, Julius J. Wergin Painting & Decorating | Photograph | Wisconsin Historical Society

Photograph

F.W. Woolworth Company Interior, Julius J. Wergin Painting & Decorating

F.W. Woolworth Company Interior, Julius J. Wergin Painting & Decorating | Photograph | Wisconsin Historical Society
Elevated view of two sales women of the F.W. Woolworth Co. standing at a counter, while five men, from Julius J. Wergin Co. painters and decorators, are standing on scaffolding above them applying paint to a tin ceiling. Long wooden counters display merchandise, including rows of horse statues of different sizes. Wood flooring is seen between the counters. In the background, daylight is shining through the upper portion of the store's front display windows. Woolworth Co. signs are above two double-door entrances. The F.W. Woolworth Co. was the successor of the F. M. Kirby Co.'s 5 and 10 Cent Store located at 907 S. 8th Street. In 1912, F.M. Kirby, who owned close to 100 stores in the U.S., joined Frank W. Woolworth to become part of F.W. Woolworth Co.'s chain of variety stores. In 1918, the store was expanded into the adjacent building at 905 S. 8th Street. The two buildings were joined and remodeled, which included a new storefront. The company continued in operation at 905-907 S. 8th until moving to the new Park Plaza Shopping Center in 1959. Julius J. Wergin's painting and decorating business was in operation from 1920-1970.
DESCRIPTION
Elevated view of two sales women of the F.W. Woolworth Co. standing at a counter, while five men, from Julius J. Wergin Co. painters and decorators, are standing on scaffolding above them applying paint to a tin ceiling. Long wooden counters display merchandise, including rows of horse statues of different sizes. Wood flooring is seen between the counters. In the background, daylight is shining through the upper portion of the store's front display windows. Woolworth Co. signs are above two double-door entrances. The F.W. Woolworth Co. was the successor of the F. M. Kirby Co.'s 5 and 10 Cent Store located at 907 S. 8th Street. In 1912, F.M. Kirby, who owned close to 100 stores in the U.S., joined Frank W. Woolworth to become part of F.W. Woolworth Co.'s chain of variety stores. In 1918, the store was expanded into the adjacent building at 905 S. 8th Street. The two buildings were joined and remodeled, which included a new storefront. The company continued in operation at 905-907 S. 8th until moving to the new Park Plaza Shopping Center in 1959. Julius J. Wergin's painting and decorating business was in operation from 1920-1970.
RECORD DETAILS
Image ID:129115
Creation Date:circa 1950
Creator Name:Glander Art Studio, 1908-1954
City:Manitowoc
County:Manitowoc
State:Wisconsin
Collection Name:Glander Art Studio (Manitowoc, Wi.) : Photographs and miscellaneous records, 1890-1972
Genre:Photograph
Original Format Type:photographic print, b&w
Original Format Number:M2003-001.1.15
Original Dimensions:10 x 8 inches
SUBJECTS
Architectural details
Ceilings
Dresses
Hats
Work clothes
Ladders
Paint industry and trade
Indoor photography
Women
Display of merchandise
Sales personnel
Variety stores
Maintenance and repair
Signs and signboards

How to Purchase a Copy

Buy The Image

For commercial or non-profit use, please contact Image Sales.

By clicking "BUY" you agree to our Terms of Use.

10-percent discount for Society Members.

Image-purchasing questions? Please Contact Us.

RIGHTS AND PERMISSIONS
This image is issued by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Collections Division. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please Credit: Wisconsin Historical Society.
Reference Details
Location:Wisconsin Historical Society Archives, 4th Floor, Madison, Wisconsin

How to View in Person

To view this image, visit the Archives Research Room on the 4th floor at the Society Headquarters building in Madison, WI. Print out this index page and present it to the librarian. Use the links below to plan your visit to the Society's Archives.

Checking Out Materials

Visual materials in the Archives do not circulate and must be viewed in the Society's Archives Research Room.

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

Wisconsin Historical Society Citation
Wisconsin Historical Society, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).
Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research Citation
Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).

Have Questions?

Contact our Archives staff by email.