Property Record
6027 7TH AVE
Architecture and History Inventory
| Historic Name: | Louis Thiers House |
|---|---|
| Other Name: | |
| Contributing: | Yes |
| Reference Number: | 9503 |
| Location (Address): | 6027 7TH AVE |
|---|---|
| County: | Kenosha |
| City: | Kenosha |
| Township/Village: | |
| Unincorporated Community: | |
| Town: | |
| Range: | |
| Direction: | |
| Section: | |
| Quarter Section: | |
| Quarter/Quarter Section: |
| Year Built: | 1893 |
|---|---|
| Additions: | |
| Survey Date: | 1987 |
| Historic Use: | house |
| Architectural Style: | Queen Anne |
| Structural System: | |
| Wall Material: | Clapboard |
| Architect: | |
| Other Buildings On Site: | |
| Demolished?: | No |
| Demolished Date: |
| National/State Register Listing Name: | Library Park Historic District |
|---|---|
| National Register Listing Date: | 11/29/1988 |
| State Register Listing Date: | 1/1/1989 |
| National Register Multiple Property Name: |
| Additional Information: | A 'site file' exists for this property. It contains additional information such as correspondence, newspaper clippings, or historical information. It is a public record and may be viewed in person at the Wisconsin Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office. 3 STORY POLYGONAL TOWER W/STEEPLY PITCHED PAVILION ROOF. SITE OF REV. DRUEBEN DEMING HOUSE (A FREE SCHOOLER). DEMING HOUSE PART OF UNDERGROUND RR DURING CIVIL WAR. OBSCURED BY VEGETATION. THIERS WAS A NOTED PHOTOGRAPHER. "Louis Thiers was born in Kenosha in 1858. He was educated in Kenosha schools and became a photographer. He worked for six years in Chicago and, in 1895, opened a photo gallery in Kenosha. The gallery operated for five years, until Thiers went into semi-retirement. He had other business interests, particularly successful farms elsewhere in Wisconsin. Thiers lived in this house until the mid-1930s. At this address, a bronze plaque in the curbing marks the original site of the home of the Reverend Reuben H. Deming, a Methodist lay-preacher and early educator, whose house was one of four known Kenosha "Stations" on the Underground Railroad. The attic of the Deming home was used in the period before the Civil War to harbor fugitive Southern slaves in their flight to freedom in Canada via Great Lakes sailing ships. Reverend Deming's original house was moved from this site and is now on 61st Street, between 11th and 12th Avenues. " Historic Kenosha: Library Park Historic District, Kenosha Area Convention & Visitors Bureau, 2005 |
|---|---|
| Bibliographic References: | CITY DIRECTORY. TAX ROLLS. KENOSHA NEWS 11/14/1994. Historic Kenosha: Library Park Historic District, Kenosha Area Convention & Visitors Bureau, 2005 |
| Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, State Historic Preservation Office, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin |




