Property Record
7 E MAIN ST
Architecture and History Inventory
| Historic Name: | Edmund Sweeney Building |
|---|---|
| Other Name: | |
| Contributing: | No |
| Reference Number: | 76212 |
| Location (Address): | 7 E MAIN ST |
|---|---|
| County: | Jefferson |
| City: | Watertown |
| Township/Village: | |
| Unincorporated Community: | |
| Town: | |
| Range: | |
| Direction: | |
| Section: | |
| Quarter Section: | |
| Quarter/Quarter Section: |
| Year Built: | 1860 |
|---|---|
| Additions: | |
| Survey Date: | 19862020 |
| Historic Use: | small retail building |
| Architectural Style: | Commercial Vernacular |
| Structural System: | |
| Wall Material: | |
| Architect: | |
| Other Buildings On Site: | |
| Demolished?: | No |
| Demolished Date: |
| National/State Register Listing Name: | Main Street Commercial Historic District |
|---|---|
| National Register Listing Date: | 6/2/1989 |
| National Register Multiple Property Name: |
| Additional Information: | This building was constructed by Edmund Sweeney around 1860 and he may have had his dry goods store here. Around 1880 the building housed for a long time the millinery shops of Anna Fuchs, Lene Kniesel, Dora Geschke, Maragaret May, and Malzohn and Hertel, all for several years each. Thi sbuilding has some historical interest as the location of a long-term millinery business. Although none of the businesses are historically significant individually, the building does contribute to the overall development of commerce in the Main Street Historic District. A small frame building constructed for Edmund Sweeney around 1860, this two-story, two-bay buliding's facade has been completely altered. Originally featuring a projecting Italianate cornice, the Sweeney building, used for a millinery shop for many years, now is covered by vertical metal siding on the second story and shingles on the lower story. Furthermore the building has been converted to residential use. The Efmund Sweeney building has suffered extensive and unsympathetic alterations of its architectural character. Because of the extensive alteration of its historic character, this building does not contribute to the proposed Main Street Historic District. |
|---|---|
| Bibliographic References: | (A) Tax Records, City of Watertown, 18601-1910, Area Research Center, Library, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. (B) Sanborn Insurance Maps 1884, 1926. (C) Watertown City Directories, 1866-1930, Watertown Public Library. |
| Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, State Historic Preservation Office, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin |

