Property Record
716 OHIO ST
Architecture and History Inventory
| Historic Name: | |
|---|---|
| Other Name: | |
| Contributing: | |
| Reference Number: | 70653 |
| Location (Address): | 716 OHIO ST |
|---|---|
| County: | Winnebago |
| City: | Oshkosh |
| Township/Village: | |
| Unincorporated Community: | |
| Town: | |
| Range: | |
| Direction: | |
| Section: | |
| Quarter Section: | |
| Quarter/Quarter Section: |
| Year Built: | |
|---|---|
| Additions: | |
| Survey Date: | 2004 |
| Historic Use: | large retail building |
| Architectural Style: | Spanish/Mediterranean Styles |
| Structural System: | |
| Wall Material: | Brick |
| Architect: | |
| Other Buildings On Site: | |
| Demolished?: | No |
| Demolished Date: |
| National/State Register Listing Name: | Not listed |
|---|---|
| National Register Listing Date: | |
| State Register Listing Date: |
| Additional Information: | A mediterranean tone is created with the use of imitation clay tile roofs, flanking the central entrance pavilion of this two story brick building. A blind arch and shaped parapet further accent the pavilion. 2004: The Poklasny family dominated the funeral industry in the sixth ward for several generations. The firm was founded in 1914 by Anthony Poklasny. When his brothers Joseph and George joined the business, it became known as Poklasny Brothers Funeral Home. The Poklasny's were members of Sacred Heart Church, and their business catered to the Sixth Ward's Catholic residents. The first place of business was a building on the southwest corner of 8th and Ohio Streets. As the business grew, it moved across the street to the southeast corner of 8th and Ohio Streets. Somewhat later, an addition was built to house the Poklasny Furniture store, which was operated in conjunction with the undertaking business. In 1964, the Poklasny Funeral Home moved to a new building on South Park Avenue near Knapp Street (Jungwirth 1991:94-96). The Poklasny Brothers Funeral Home has been an important business on Oshkosh's South Side since 1914. This building is the firm's second location, however, and represents a relatively late period in its history. Since 1964, the building has been occupied by Steinart Printing Co., Frigidare and other retail enterprises. Resurveyed in 2004; awnings changed. |
|---|---|
| Bibliographic References: | Architecture/History Survey 2004: AVD Archaeological Services, Inc. Susan G. Mikos |
| Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, State Historic Preservation Office, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin |



