Property Record
135 E MAIN ST
Architecture and History Inventory
| Historic Name: | RIEGE BLOCK |
|---|---|
| Other Name: | CLOTHING X-CHANGE/ VIDEO VENTURE/ PICKLE BARREL SUBS |
| Contributing: | Yes |
| Reference Number: | 46236 |
| Location (Address): | 135 E MAIN ST |
|---|---|
| County: | Grant |
| City: | Platteville |
| Township/Village: | |
| Unincorporated Community: | |
| Town: | |
| Range: | |
| Direction: | |
| Section: | |
| Quarter Section: | |
| Quarter/Quarter Section: |
| Year Built: | 1897 |
|---|---|
| Additions: | |
| Survey Date: | 1983 |
| Historic Use: | large retail building |
| Architectural Style: | Italianate |
| Structural System: | |
| Wall Material: | Brick |
| Architect: | |
| Other Buildings On Site: | |
| Demolished?: | No |
| Demolished Date: |
| National/State Register Listing Name: | Main Street Commercial Historic District |
|---|---|
| National Register Listing Date: | 3/9/1990 |
| State Register Listing Date: | 1/1/1989 |
| National Register Multiple Property Name: |
| Additional Information: | THIS BRICK, TWO-STORY COMMERCIAL BLOCK FEATURES A STONE FOUNDATION, A FLAT SLOPING ROOF, AND A BRACKETED METAL CORNICE TRIMMED WITH BOTH DENTILS AND URN SCULPTURE. ABOVE THE CORNICE IS A PLAQUE INDICATING THE BUILDING'S NAMED AND DATE OF CONSTRUCTION. ACROTERIA PUNCTURATE THE ROOF-LINE AT THE BUILDING CORNERS. STONES ACCENT THE SEGMENTAL ARCHED WINDOWS, AND CORBELED STONE SILLS ARE SET IN THE RECESSED PANELS OF THE THREE PART FACADE. THE STORE FRONT HAS BEEN COMPLETELY ALTERED FOR CONTEMPORARY USE. ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE: ANOTHER LARGE COMMERICAL BLOCK ON MAIN STREET, THIS STRUCTURE IS IMPORTANT TO THE DISTRICT VISUALLY BECAUSE OF ITS SIZE. UNFORTUNATELY, ITS SIGNIFICANCE HAS BEEN DIMINISHED BECAUSE OF THE COMPLETELY ALTERD STORE FRONT. HISTORICAL BACKGROUND: THIS BUILDING WAS ERECTED BY EBE RIEGE IN 1897. RIEGE WAS BORN IN HANOVER, GERMANY IN 1837; HE CAME TO PLATTEVILLE IN 1862 AND OPENED A GENERAL AND CLOTHING STORE. IN 1881 RIEGE OWNED FOUR STORES ON MAIN STREET. HEISER HARDWARE STORE OCCUPIED THE BUILDING AT AN UNKNOWN DATE. |
|---|---|
| Bibliographic References: | A. BUILDING PLAQUE. B. GRANT COUNTY (PLATTEVILLE, WI) WITNESS, 17 FEBRUARY 1897. C. RICHARD BARDEN, INTERVIEW, MAY 3, 1983. D. GRANT COUNTY HISTORY, 1881, P. 918. |
| Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, State Historic Preservation Office, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin |
