Access to digital collections is being upgraded. See what is online now.

4211 County Road KW | Property Record | Wisconsin Historical Society

Property Record

4211 County Road KW

Architecture and History Inventory
4211 County Road KW | Property Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:
Other Name:
Contributing:
Reference Number:13258
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):4211 County Road KW
County:Ozaukee
City:
Township/Village:Port Washington
Unincorporated Community:
Town:11
Range:22
Direction:E
Section:9
Quarter Section:SW
Quarter/Quarter Section:NE
PROPERTY FEATURES
Year Built:1870
Additions:
Survey Date:19752025
Historic Use:house
Architectural Style:Side Gabled
Structural System:
Wall Material:Fieldstone
Architect:
Other Buildings On Site:Y
Demolished?:No
Demolished Date:
NATIONAL AND STATE REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
National/State Register Listing Name:Not listed
National Register Listing Date:
State Register Listing Date:
NOTES
Additional Information:SEGMENTAL ARCH WINDOWSTWO 1/2 ROUND WINDOW IN GABLELARGE SYMMETRICAL HOUSE BUILT INTO HILLSIDEINTERIOR CHIMNEY AT BOTH ENDS 2025: This parcel is comprised of a stone house, secondary residence, bank barn, two silos, an outbuilding, and a privy. The stone house is a circa 1870, two-story, five-bay, gabled ell house constructed of field stone with lime mortar that was constructed into the hillside so that the eastern portion of the house is partially below grade. While the roof is no longer extant over the main portion of the house, there is an intact roof above the rear ell portion. The remaining roof has wood shingles and a central, interior stone chimney. Interior stone chimneys are located at the gable ends. The house has segmental arch window and door openings, although none retain glazing or doors. There is a fanlight window beneath the gable end. The house exhibits Luxembourger immigrant construction in its footprint, stone construction into the hillside to allow for easier cellar access, arched window and door openings, and rear ell. The secondary residence is a circa 1965 one-story, hip roof Ranch house with an attached garage. It is clad with fieldstone veneer and has an asphalt shingle roof and interior brick chimney. The entry is a replacement door with an oval light set behind a metal storm door that opens onto a concrete stoop. Windows are 1/1 double-hung and vinyl casement sashes. The foundation is not visible. The frame barn, constructed circa 1920, is located north of the secondary residence and is a side-gable building that is clad with vertical board. It has a concrete block foundation and a metal panel roof. Sliding vertical board doors are located at the east and west ends of the south elevation. The overall shape and form of the barn suggest potential to be an earlier resource; however, without interior access, we cannot be sure. Two concrete stave silos, likely constructed circa 1920, are located west of the secondary residence. The southernmost silo no longer retains its metal cap and is approximately half the height of the northernmost silo. The silos appear attached to a small, flat roof concrete block building constructed circa 1990. A sixteen light metal window is located at the center of the east elevation. A front-gable, frame privy is located northwest of the silos and was constructed circa 1900. It is clad with clapboard, has a wood shingle roof, and a stone foundation. According to the 1873 Map of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, this property was owned by a person with the name of Ghiner (possibly G. Hiner). It is also depicted on property adjacent to a “Stone Quarry” that is likely the Druecker Stone Quarry, after which the community of Druecker and post office was named. It appears likely that the house was constructed of stone from surface deposits near the Druecker Stone Quarry or from the quarry itself soon after its founding. No information could be found regarding a person with the name of Ghiner or G. Hiner, however. The house is listed as the “Federmeyer House” in Beatrice Krier’s A Tableau of Ethnic Luxembourgers and their Stone Buildings, although its location is noted as within Section 16 in Krier’s work, and it is actually located within Section 9, just to the north. Regardless, by the 1892 Plat Map of Washington and Ozaukee County, the residence and property are depicted as owned by J. Jentges (Jentkes), who owned additional land in the vicinity of Druecker. John Jentkes was an immigrant farmer from Luxembourg, who settled in the area with his wife Anna, and it is likely that the house was constructed during their ownership. By 1900, the family name had changed his name to Jentges and moved to the City of Port Washington.
Bibliographic References:2025: - 1880 and 1900 Federal Census Records for John Jentges. - Krier, Beatrice. A Tableau of Ethnic Luxembourgers and their Stone Buildings. Belgium, Wisconsin: B.W. Krier, 1989.
RECORD LOCATION
Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, State Historic Preservation Office, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the record you were looking for, or have other questions about historic preservation, please email us and we can help:

If you have an update, correction, or addition to a record, please include this in your message:

  • AHI number
  • Information to be added or changed
  • Source information

Note: When providing a historical fact, such as the story of a historic event or the name of an architect, be sure to list your sources. We will only create or update a property record if we can verify a submission is factual and accurate.

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory Citation
Wisconsin Historical Society, Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".