Property Record
1463 N WATER ST
Architecture and History Inventory
| Historic Name: | Struck Bros. Wood and Coal |
|---|---|
| Other Name: | |
| Contributing: | |
| Reference Number: | 116094 |
| Location (Address): | 1463 N WATER ST |
|---|---|
| County: | Milwaukee |
| City: | Milwaukee |
| Township/Village: | |
| Unincorporated Community: | |
| Town: | |
| Range: | |
| Direction: | |
| Section: | |
| Quarter Section: | |
| Quarter/Quarter Section: |
| Year Built: | 1891 |
|---|---|
| Additions: | |
| Survey Date: | 2000 |
| Historic Use: | small retail building |
| Architectural Style: | Twentieth Century Commercial |
| Structural System: | |
| Wall Material: | Brick |
| Architect: | |
| Other Buildings On Site: | |
| Demolished?: | No |
| Demolished Date: |
| National/State Register Listing Name: | Not listed |
|---|---|
| National Register Listing Date: | |
| State Register Listing Date: |
| Additional Information: | ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE: Two story rectangular brick structure with central doorway and one other blank door. Windows across both upper and lower stories. Construction date, c.1896. (A) This two-story brick building, erected in 1896, features a series of boarded-over openings along the first floor of the primary facade, while the majority of the south elevation's fenestration has been bricked in. The south half of the structure's second level carries a series of four, paired, four-over-four-light, double-hung sash windows and the north half features a row of four, single, one-over-one-light sashes. The stepped parapet of the building features a single row of corbeled brickwork and a rectangular inset which once likely carried the name of the structure's owner/occupant. Clerestory-like lighting is located on the roof of the building. In 1891, John & Frederick Struck are noted as dealers of wood and coal at this location (formerly 769 N. Water Street); however, maps indicate that they originally occupied a frame structure. As early as 1881, Frederick was noted as a wood dealer along with Charles Tess, located at 37 1st Avenue. In 1896, Charles Struck replaces Frederick in the business and the subject building was reportedly erected. By 1907, John appears to be the sole proprietor; however, he passed away that same year, on 1 August 1907. A variety of industrial concerns occupied the building thereafter and include the Lake Wrecking Co. and the Burns Machinery Shop. Currently, the structure appears to be vacant. Aside from the peculiar difference of fenestration along the second level, the structure remains a relatively undistinguished brick building which was likely originally used for industrial purposes. |
|---|---|
| Bibliographic References: | A. Building Permit. |
| Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, State Historic Preservation Office, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin |


