Property Record
8338 DOUGLAS AVE
Architecture and History Inventory
| Historic Name: | Gotthard Smith Garage |
|---|---|
| Other Name: | |
| Contributing: | |
| Reference Number: | 10599 |
| Location (Address): | 8338 DOUGLAS AVE |
|---|---|
| County: | Racine |
| City: | |
| Township/Village: | Caledonia |
| Unincorporated Community: | |
| Town: | 4 |
| Range: | 22 |
| Direction: | E |
| Section: | 1 |
| Quarter Section: | SE |
| Quarter/Quarter Section: | NW |
| Year Built: | 1900 |
|---|---|
| Additions: | |
| Survey Date: | 20042024 |
| Historic Use: | garage (residential) |
| Architectural Style: | Craftsman |
| Structural System: | |
| Wall Material: | Brick |
| Architect: | |
| Other Buildings On Site: | Y |
| Demolished?: | No |
| Demolished Date: |
| National/State Register Listing Name: | Not listed |
|---|---|
| National Register Listing Date: | |
| State Register Listing Date: |
| Additional Information: | Elm Road to Racine Transmission Line Project - Stantec, Inc. This approximately 3-acre parcel includes a circa 1880 house, a circa 1900 barn, a pair of circa 1900 brick silos, a circa 1900 brick garage, a wooden shed ruin, and a circa 1990 metal pole barn. In general, this site is overgrown with vegetation and the buildings present are not particularly visible from the public right-of-way. Within the WHPD, the brick garage is described under AHI 10599 while the farmhouse is described under AHI 133020. Please refer to Field Site 8 (AHI 133020) for a description of the farmhouse and the other buildings on this site. The one-story, cross-gable brick garage has an L-shape plan. The Craftsman style garage is overgrown with vegetation making a visual inspection difficult. The main body of the garage has a clipped gable at the northwest and southeast ends. The roof is partially covered with failing asphalt shingles over wooden shingles. Wooden bargeboards hang at each of the three gables. The Half-timbering and stucco are located beneath the northeast gable end, while the area below the clipped gables in the other two gables is clad with wooden shingles. The remainder of the walls are red brick with white brick used for cross details in relief along either side of the hinged, paired vertical board garage doors. Each of these relief crosses consists of a stretcher brick with a header brick centered immediately above and below. Windows and doors are set within arched brick openings. Two vehicular door openings are present under the southeastern clipped gable. Other visible doors and windows are all wood. The garage has a concrete foundation. Use of brick on this garage and the nearby silos is unusual owing to its relatively high cost. The architectural ornamentation on this garage is also unusual. Both the material and ornamentation suggest that cost was not a primary consideration in their design and construction, which is uncharacteristic of early farmers in Caledonia Township. Given the ownership history (described under Field Site 8, AHI 133020) and architectural style , both the garage and silos may have been constructed by either the Windish Company or the Lindsay Brothers, entities that owned this farm from around 1895 to 1920. An 1873 map identifies this property as belonging to J. Galaghan, while an approximate 1889 map and an 1893 map reflect it belonging to G. Slender and Gottloe Slender. Originally surveyed as in 1975. Roll #3B, Frame #20. WOOD SHINGLES IN ONE GABLE, 1/2 TIMBER IN OTHER. Garage was largely obscured by foliage. Adjacent, Greek Revival house (see #133020). |
|---|---|
| Bibliographic References: | Architecture and History Survey. October/November 2004. Prepared by Heritage Research, Ltd. |
| Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, State Historic Preservation Office, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin |




